With Extinction Rebellion anarchists disrupting our cities this week, I thought it was worth blogging this from Andrew Bolt. The kids can relax, everything is going to be okay.
1. You have never been less likely to die of a climate-related disaster. Your risk of being killed has fallen 99 per cent in the past century. Source: International Disaster Database.
2. You have never been more likely to live longer. Life expectancy around the world has risen by 5.5 years so far this century. Source: World Health Organisation.
4. There is more food than ever. Grain crops have set new records. Source: Food and Agricultural Organisation.
5. The world is getting greener. Leaf cover is growing 3 per cent per decade. Source: NASA.
6. Low-lying Pacific islands are not drowning. In fact, 43 per cent – including Tuvalu - are growing, and another 43 per cent are stable. Source: Professor Paul Kench, University of Auckland.
7. Cold weather is 20 times more likely to kill you than hot weather. Source: Lancet, 20/5/2015
8. Global warming does not cause drought. Source: Prof. Andy Pitman, ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes.
9. Australia’s rainfall over the past century has actually increased. Source: Bureau of Meteorology.
10. There are fewer wildfires. Around the world, the area burned by fire is down 24 per cent over 18 years. Source: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center et al.
11. Polar bear numbers are increasing, not decreasing. Source: Dr Susan Crockford.